Monday, October 22, 2007

Rainbow Wong running for re-election as Island District Councillor

Current Island District Councillor Rainbow Wong Fuk-kan has announced his candidacy for the District Council Elections (Lantau Constituency). In his election pamphlet he writes the following:
"Devoting my heart. Forging ahead. Rainbow's ready to serve the whole of Lantau!
Dear local residents,
I, Wong Fuk-kan (Rainbow), am standing as a candidate for the Third Island District Council Election (Lantau Constituency), which covers Mui wo, South Lantau, Tai O and Tung Chung. I very much hope that I can be re-elected in order to continue my whole-hearted service to all of the local residents.
Trying my hand at the election in 2003, I was honored to have you voting for me and therefore be elected as your District Councillor. Three years have lapsed since then and I have endeavored to fight for our district's best interest while reflecting to the Government local residents' opinions in order to improve people's livelihood. Dedicating myself to the whole of Lantau and respecting villagers' aspirations, I am well-prepared to help our residents to solve any problems and difficulties.
The District Council Election is coming soon. Please vote for me! Elect me as your District Councillor! Let's join hands to develop a harmonious community!"

And we also received Rainbow's platform:
a) Monitor the progress of the Concept Plan for Lantau in different communities
b) Monitor Lantau's traffic and transportation
c) Urge the Government to speed up the construction of the proposed Lantau Hospital
d) Care about Lantau's economy and the well-being of local residents
e) Care about Lantau's ecology and environment
f) Promote community cohesion and harmony in Lantau

The South Lantau Liaison Group supports Rainbow Wong in his efforts. You may read his blog. Even though it is in Chinese, there is a trick to it.
Go to:
http://www.google.com.hk/language_tools?hl=en

Then under 'translate a webpage', choose 'Chinese to English BETA' and enter:
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/wongfukkan

The translation is not perfect but does give the gist of his stories.

Also, he has published a 12-page (!) report of all his work done from 2003-2007 and the list is huge! Don't hesitate to pick up a copy at his office at the Mui Wo Rural Committee Road.

No comments: